Whether you're craving a traditional apple pie, a decadent and creamy pie, something fruity, or something savory like a pot pie, there's a pie for everyone in the vegan cookbook Pies and Tarts with Heart.
• Who wrote it: Dynise Balcavage
• Who published it: Quarry Books
• Number of recipes: 60+
• Recipes for right now: Peach Pie with Salted Agave Drizzle, S'more Pie, Lemon Fluff Pie, Raw Blueberry Cream Tart, Choco-Coco Macadamia Pie, Red Pepper Onion Tarte Tatin, Coconut Dulce de Leche
• Other highlights: The pies in this comprehensive, fully-illustrated cookbook run the gamut from sweet to savory, including classic pies like apple, cherry and pumpkin; cream pies using ingredients like nondairy milk, cream cheese, and tofu; citrus pies and tarts; raw pies, nutty pies; rustic pies and tarts; savory pies and tarts; and "impostor" pies like whoopie pies, shepherd's pie, and pizza pie.
Most traditional pie crust recipes call for butter and/or lard. To make the pies in this book vegan-friendly, the author primarily uses margarine, such as Earth Balance, and vegetable shortening. (Oils such as olive oil and coconut oil are given passing mention.) She also includes a few recipes for non-flour crusts made from nuts, potatoes, or cooked grains like millet, brown rice, quinoa, or barley.
• Who would enjoy this book? vegans and those interested in gluten-free, low-fat, and raw recipes
• Visit the author's website: Urban Vegan
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Ho)