When we eat outside, we want to enjoy being outside
. We don't want to spend the first ten minutes running into the house and back for napkins, the salt shaker, or whatever else we've forgotten to haul out! This weekend, we'll be putting together our summer "outside kit" with everything we need for eating outside. Take a look!We keep everything we need for eating outside in a little wire basket that we carry out and back in with us. You could also use a plastic container with a lid or a cloth lunch bag
to keep everything neatly contained.
1. Silverware - We just take a few knives, forks, and spoons right from our silverware drawer and keep them contained in a spare glass. You can also make a handy silverware roll like this one.
2. Plates and Dishes - We bought a cheap set of melamine plates and bowls just for eating outside. They're light, easy to carry, and will survive a few bumps and drops.
3. Cloth Napkins - Not only are cloth napkins washable, but they won't blow away in the breeze!
4. Salt and Pepper Shakers - Pick up an extra set of shakers just for your kit.
5. Condiments - Ketchup, soy sauce, Tabasco - whatever you regularly use to garnish your meals should get a spot in the kit!
6. Candles - We like one or two citronella candles for the bugs and a few votives for the ambiance.
7. Matches - For lighting the candles!
8. Bug Spray - The sun goes down and those bugs come out in full force.
9. Serving Tray - Not part of the kit, exactly, but it's super handy to have a tray for carrying food outside and then clearing up afterward.
What else would you put in an outside kit?
Related: Weekend Project: Spruce Up the Patio
(Images: Wire Basket/Ikea, Silverware/Target, Candles/Etsy, Salt and Pepper Shakers/Sur La Table, Napkins/Etsy, Melamine Plates/Target, Off! Spray/Amazon)