Spiralizers are nice, and extra pots and pans will come in handy, but when it comes down to what's actually essential, there are only a few things every cook actually needs in their kitchen. One of the most important — if not the most important — is a good knife. There are three essential knives for every kitchen, and one of them is a chef's knife.
Now, a quick look at chef's knives online reveals that they can be pretty expensive. If you don't have the money to invest, have no fear! There are a few good brands out there that offer inexpensive options. In fact, one of our favorite brands, Victorinox, is on sale on Amazon today; the eight-inch chef's knife is just $30.
There are close to 5,000 customer reviews right now on Amazon of this knife, and it has a five-star rating. One of the reviewers, who says she owns multiple, more expensive chef's knives, claims that she is "shocked at how good this knife is for the price. This is without a question, the best chef's knife for the price."
We've also written about this specific knife in the past if you need to be convinced even more.
Take care of your new chef's knife by sharpening it regularly. Don't know how? We have a video for that.
Get Comfortable with Your Chef's Knife
- The Anatomy of a Chef's Knife
- The 3 Basic Knives Every Kitchen Needs
- What's the Difference Between a Chef's Knife and a Santoku Knife?
- Mistakes to Avoid When Using a Chef's Knife
- Good Product: Victorinox 8-inch Chef's Knife
- Good Cheap Knife? Yet More Chef Props for Victorinox
- 5 Essentials in Caring for a Chef's Knife
- 5 Ways to Tell If Your Knife Needs Sharpening
- 6 Signs You May Be in Love with Your Chef's Knife