Thanksgiving is just one excuse for mashed potatoes; honestly, I think of them as fall and winter food, and so the season is just beginning. Here's a look back at some of our best tips and advice on making this most elemental of potato dishes.
Some people can make light, creamy mashed potatoes in their sleep, but others of us make them more rarely, and so could always use a little advice.
How do I make mashed potatoes even better?
• Duchess Potato Christmas Trees (pictured above)
• Secrets of Awesome Mashed Potatoes
• Add Rutabaga To Mashed Potatoes
• Tip from Cook's Illustrated: Steamed Mashed Potatoes
How do I keep mashed potatoes warm until serving?
• How to Keep Mashed Potatoes Warm (Or Re-Heat Ones You Made Ahead of Time)
What tools should I use?
• What Is the Best Tool for Making Mashed Potatoes?
• Food Science: Why Mashed Potatoes and Blenders Don't Mix
• Can I Make Mashed Potatoes With My Immersion Blender?
• Good Question: Do I Need a Ricer?
• Deluxe Angled Potato Ricer from Williams-Sonoma
I want to try something a little different.
• 5 Delicious Alternatives to Mashed Potatoes
What should I do with my leftover mashed potatoes?
• Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipe: Mashed Potato Puffs
What are your best tips and advice for amazing mashed potatoes? Personally I always drop in a lump of cream cheese; it really doesn't hurt.