We'd be remiss to let Reader Request Week go by without an in-depth look at homemade broths and stocks, the building blocks of good soups! Whether it's chicken, vegetable, beef, or shellfish, most soups start with a savory, brothy brew. Here are recipes, tips, and good ideas for better stock at home. • Stock vs. Broth — What's the Difference?
How To Make Stock
Recipes and tutorials for making various kinds of broth and stock.
• How To Make Homemade Chicken Stock
• Basic Recipe: Roasted Vegetable Stock
• How to Make Homemade Vegetable Stock
• Soup Base Recipe: Parmesan Stock
• Chicken Bone Broth
• Chicken Giblet Stock
• Turkey Stock
• Dashi Soup Stock
• Shellfish Stock
• Make Cheese Rind Stock!
Stock Hints & Helps
More tips and good ideas for making homemade stock better or easier.
• Stockpiling Your Scraps: What to Save & Freeze for Stocks
• Stock in the Slow Cooker
• Make Stock in a Pasta Strainer
• Save Wilted Vegetables For Stock
• Quicker Vegetable Stock: Try Shredding the Vegetables
• Kitchen Shortcuts: An Easy Trick for Straining Stock
• Help! Why Did My Chicken Soup Turn Into Jell-o?
• What Are the Best Containers for Freezing Liquids?
• What Can I Make With Goose Stock?
• Freeze Homemade Stock in Ice Cube Trays
• Frozen Homemade Stock Portions
• Homemade Soup Stock: How Far Would You Go?
• How Do I Use Mushroom Stock?
On Buying Stock
If you're all out of time and need some good ideas
What are your best tips for making homemade broth or stock? Got any tips for making it quicker or easier?
It's Reader Request Week at The Kitchn! This post was requested by Yogalala.
(Images: Emma Christensen; Dana Velden; Emma Christensen)