I am not ashamed: I love me some pumpkin spice. Lattes? Bring it on. Cookies? Oh, yes. Pie? I'm surprised you're asking. But, friends, let's be real here. There are a lot of other spices in the cupboard that would be thrilled to get introduced to that pumpkin on your counter — and not all of them are sweet.
- Ras el Hanout: Think of this as pumpkin spice's fiercer, edgier sibling. It's made with cinnamon and cloves, but also goes a touch savory — and tongue tingling — with peppercorns, cumin, and turmeric.
- Ginger: Ginger often plays a supporting role in pumpkin spice mixes, but it deserves it's own time in the spotlight. Mix your pumpkin with freshly-grated ginger for a spicy, sweet treat.
- Chili Powder: A good chili spice blend brings out the warm, savory notes in pumpkin. It's pumpkin like you've never seen it before.
- Garam Masala: Pumpkin curry, anyone?
- Sage: Pumpkin and sage make great companions in our recipe for Pumpkin and Ricotta Pasta Casserole. I'd also love to try pumpkin in our recipe for Fettuccine with Squash and Sage.
- Chinese Five-Spice Powder: I love that this spice blend can go sweet or savory depending on how you use it. It would be incredible with pumpkin.
- Vanilla: Really want to bring out pumpkin's sweet side? Mix that puree with real vanilla bean.
What about you? Do you have a favorite spice or spice mix that pairs well with pumpkin? Do share!
(Image: Roasted Red Kuri Pumpkin & Coconut Soup / Faith Durand)