Ice Cream Chef: Meredith
What inspired this recipe? I was inspired by my Thai basil plant that I started from seed back in March. Its been the most successful plant in my garden this summer- thriving in the heat and rain here in New Orleans. I hadn't used any until now.
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
Coconut and Thai Basil Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/3 cup chopped fresh Thai basil
1/2 whole vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
In a large saucepan or pot, combine the coconut milk, heavy cream, milk, thai basil, and sugar. Slice the vanilla bean down the side and scrape the seeds into the milk mixture. Add the pod as well. Use a hand blender to puree the basil (its ok if there a few large pieces left). Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is just dissolved. Remove from heat.
In a separate bowl, whisk the yolks until smooth and frothy. Add about a cup of the hot coconut milk mixture, and whisk into the yolks. Whisk the yolk mixture into the ice cream base, and return it to medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until thickened slightly. Remove from heat and pour into a container. Refrigerate until cooled completely.
When mixture is thoroughly cold, churn using your method of choice. Add grated coconut to the ice cream when there are about 5 minutes left in the churning process. Transfer to a freezer safer container and freeze for serveral hours before serving.
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest.
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
• Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds
• Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
• Blueberry Coffeecake Ice Cream "Cone"
• Coconut and Thai Basil Ice Cream