Open-faced sandwiches are not to be approached lightly. With their layered toppings and tendency toward sauciness, things can very quickly get out of hand. It's best to keep a fork and a napkin nearby as a precautionary back-up measure. With this in mind: take a look at these open-faced, sauced-up, piled-high beauties!1. Bulgur Veggie Burgers with Lime Mayonnaise from Gourmet
- Could this recipe finally win our veggie burger quest
2. Eggplant and Smoked Gouda Open-Faced Sandwich from Epicurious - Smoky grilled eggplant...smoky gouda... Sounds good to us!
3. Open-Faced Sandwich with Ricotta, Arugula, and Fried Egg from Cooking Light - Simple and delicious.
4. Salmon, Radish, and Apple Open-Faced Sandwich from A Year in Food - A lovely take on traditional Danish smørrebrød.
5. Open-Face Prosciutto, Ricotta, and Red-Onion Marmalade Sandwich from Serious Eats - Simultaneously sweet and savory.
6. Open-Face Steak Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese and Tomatoes from Fine Cooking - Perfect for using up leftovers.
7. Hot Brown from Saveur - An open-faced classic.
8. Open-Faced Tuna and Fennel Sandwich from Real Simple - This one sounds so fresh and light!
9. Open-Faced Fried Egg, Asparagus, and Guanciale Sandwich from Food & Wine - Any excuse to eat a fried egg. Or asparagus. Or guanciale.
10. Fig, Ricotta, and Honey Open-Faced Sandwiches from Martha Stewart - This one would nicely round out a brunch buffet.
Do you have a favorite open-faced sandwich?
Related: Try This! Over-Sized Crostini
(Image: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)