What if providing a quality education to an impoverished child half way across the world was as simple as stirring the sugar into your coffee? What if standing in line at your grocery store with the right products in your cart, also helped to protect the environment? What if it were that easy? It simply is.
October celebrates Fair Trade Month across the USA to increase awareness of the Fairtrade system that promotes fairer trading conditions for small scale farmers and workers in developing countries so they can invest in a better future for themselves and their communities.
Many of the products you use – chocolate, coffee, sugar, produce – are available as Fairtrade certified, which means every time you buy a Fairtrade product, you’re helping to improve the lives of people around the world. It’s a true win-win for all.
Here are 5 sweet and easy ways you can support Fairtrade:
1. When shopping look for a logo on a package that certifies a product is Fairtrade, like Tate + Lyle® Sugars.
2. Ask store managers to carry more Fairtrade certified products.
3. Become a Facebook fan of Tate+Lyle® Fairtrade Certified Sugars! Or follow Fairtrade America on Twitter for the latest information.
4. Share with a friend something you made with Fairtrade ingredients, like homemade cookies.
5. Bake using ingredients that carry the FAIRTRADE mark, like these delicious Chocolate Bottom Banana Bars from Tate+Lyle® Sugars.
For more information about how Tate+Lyle® Sugars supports Fairtrade, visit tateandlylesugars.com