If you think nut butters are just for sandwiches, get ready to expand your horizons with Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. This vegan cookbook proclaims the versatility of peanut, almond, cashew, sesame, and other nut and seed butters for every meal of the day. The butters in these recipes are also interchangeable, so those who are allergic to some, but not all, nuts and seeds can still benefit.
• Who wrote it: Robin Robertson
• Who published it: Vegan Heritage Press
• Number of recipes: 111
• Recipes for right now: Artichoke-Walnut Butter Bisque, Asian Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, Tropical Fruit Salad with Macadamia-Rum Dressing, Noodles and Greens with Gingery Almond Sauce, Handcrafted Granola Sunflower Bars, Lemon-Kissed Chocolate-Cashew Mousse
• Other highlights: Nut Butter Universe contains all-vegan recipes with a number of clearly marked gluten-free and/or soy-free recipes. Most recipes require only a small amount of nut or seed butter to lend rich flavor and protein. (A preface by dietician Julieanna Hever delves into the nutritional aspects of nuts and seeds.)
The first chapter covers homemade nut butters and nut-based dairy-free basics like Cashew Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, and Mayo; Nutty Parmesan, and Nut Cheese Sauce. From there, the book includes recipes for every meal and course you can think of, from soups and salads to main dishes, breakfast, and desserts. Many of the recipes have an international spin, such as soups from Peru and Africa, salads with French and Indonesian flavors, and mains inspired by Chinese and Japanese dishes. A center color section features photos of 19 of the recipes.
• Who would enjoy this book? nut lovers; people on vegan, gluten-free, and/or soy-free diets
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Nut Butter Universe: Easy Vegan Recipes with Out-Of-This-World Flavors by Robin Robertson
(Images: Emily Ho)