• China - Noodles are eaten to ensure long life.
• England - A Fortune-Telling Cake is made with small trinkets baked inside. Whatever trinket you find in your slice gives you a glimpse of your future.
• Japan - The birthday boy or girl is given an entirely new set of clothes.
• Russia - Birthdays are celebrated with pies instead of cakes.
• Brazil - Birthday children receive candies shaped like fruits and vegetables. A pull on the earlobe is good luck for the coming year.
• Australia - Barbecues and fairy bread.
• Germany - Candles are lit in the morning and burn all the way to the evening.
• Mexico - Piñatas are filled with goodies and cracked open by the birthday girl or boy.
• India - Colorful clothes and chocolate.
Are you familiar with any of these traditions? How did you grow up celebrating birthdays?