I started yesterday morning by devouring a few thick slices of Pan de Muerto with my morning coffee. If you haven't had this treat, imagine an airy Portuguese bread topped with an orange powdered sugar. It's a thing of beauty. But as I stuffed it into my mouth I paused and realized, "D'oh! It's already Halloween."
If the hallowed day caught you by surprise yesterday too, maybe you can make up for it today with a impromptu Dia de Los Muertos celebration. Fridays are better for parties anyway. Here are some tips and recipes to help you celebrate tonight.
Tell your friends that a Mexican-inspired cuisine is more your speed this time of year. Tell them you prefer the tune of a celebration over a holiday geared toward spooking. Or just be honest and say that just need one more day to pull off a last minute get-together revolving around food and drink.
Whatever your say, here are a few recipes and DIYs you still have time to pull off for a Dia de los Muertos celebration.
More on Pan de Muerto & Día de los Muertos:
- Feliz Día de los Muertos! - The Mija Chronicles
- Pan de Muerto: Sweet Bread of the Dead - The Kitchn
- Little Bones (Bread Rolls) Wild Yeast
To Start (and Finish) Your Party:
- Horchata White Russian - Brit + Co
- The Great Pumpkin Keg - Apartment Therapy
- How To Roast Pumpkin and Squash Seeds - The Kitchn
- Churro Bites - Cooking Classy
- Enchiladas de Pipian Rojo - The Kitchn
- Chocolate Mole - David Lebovitz
- Bacon Taquitos - Food Republic
- Host a Tamale Party - The Kitchn
Do you ever host a Día de los Muertos party? Did your family celebrate this holiday?