It’s not an exact science and takes some guess-timating, but we generally prepare 2-3 cups of filling whenever we make stuffed vegetables. We usually start with a base of about a cup of grain and add vegetables and meat to round things out. We also find that we usually need to over-season the filling a little bit or it comes out bland.
Here are some favorite combinations we’ve come up with over the years:
• Barley + Sausage + Swiss Chard
• Polenta + Pulled Pork + Sharp Cheddar
• Barley + Sautéd Mushrooms + Parmesan
• Rice + Sweet Corn + Red Peppers + Mozzarella
• Rice + Hamburger + Black Beans + Salsa + Cheddar
• Quinoa + Caramelized Onions + Ham + Gouda
• Orzo + Feta + Olives + Sun Dried Tomatoes
Do you have a favorite filling or two for stuffed vegetables?
(Image: Emily Ho)