Because I was a vegetarian for much of my adult life, I'm lousy at cooking meat. So you can probably imagine how lousy I am when it comes to grilling. I always find the thought of getting the perfect temperature and controlling the amount of air coming into the grill more than daunting. I always end up to overcooking the meat, and my butcher sister just looks on with shame wondering how I could go so far afield.
Suffice it to say, we don't own a grill. Each summer, I flirt with the idea of getting one, but always ultimately decide that we don't need it — there are so many delicious things to enjoy outdoors that don't require charcoal. If you're anything like us, here are a few great places to start
Recipes That Don't Require a Grill!
- Caprese Salad from The Kitchn
- Baby Artichokes with Creamy Horseradish-Dill Dip from Cooking Light
- Cold Slow-Roasted Salmon with Cucumber-Cumin Raita from Refinery 29
- Tomato Feta Pasta Salad from Ina Garten
- Pan-Seared Lemon Sole from Real Simple
- Marinated Eggplant, Zucchini and Tomatoes with Garlic and Thyme from Gourmade in the Kitchen
- Spicy Steamed Bok Choy from Anja's Food for Thought
This recipe requested by Mags from Mil for Reader Request Week 2013.
(Image: Nealy Dozier)