Zucchini, squash, late season tomatoes, carrots. They're all filling up market stands right now and begging for a new kitchen experiment. While hearty fall pasta dishes may beckon in the cooler evenings, taking a break with veggie noodles is a nice way to mix up the typical pasta routine.
I think there's a misconception that making noodles with veggies can be difficult or that you need special equipment like a mandolin to get started. Both are untrue. You can slice your veggies thin and cook them according to how porous they are and how much water they contain. Zucchini, squash and carrot are popular choices. Once you get the hang of it, you can start making lasagne, fettucine alfredo, or a nice bolognese—all noodle free!
Try a Recipe:
• Zucchini Noodles (pictured) - Inspired RD
• Summer Squash Noodle Recipe- Summer Tomato
• Carrot, Zucchini and Squash Ribbons - The Food Network
• Zucchini Ribbon Pasta with Fried Egg and Pecorino - Serious Eats
• No Noodle Vegetable Lasagne - Easy Skinny Life
(Image: Inspired RD)