Wednesday means we're here with the weekly news roundup. Read all about it here.
• Hmmm, 2008 Petit Syrah? Notes of plum, berry, and ...smoke. Will the smoke from the recent California wildfires affect this year's wine crop?
• Stating the obvious: the recent salmonella outbreaks have exposed flaws in the US food safety system.
• Trying to conceive? Tell your man to stay away from the tofu, edamame, and soy milk.
• Trans fats now banned in California.
• The world's oldest bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne was discovered hidden in a British castle.
(Image: CHRISTIAN KALLEN/The Press Democrat)