Can't eat gluten, dairy, eggs, or refined sugar? Don't despair — even you can have dessert! In Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free,Ricki Heller (of Diet, Dessert and Dogs fame) shares 100 allergy-friendly and vegan recipes for cookies, cakes, pies, and other treats that nearly everyone can enjoy.
• Who wrote it: Ricki Heller
• Who published it: Sellers Publishers
• Number of recipes: 100
• Recipes for right now: Cinnamon Buns, Giant Baked Upside-Down Apple Pancake, Ginger-Coconut Cookies, Butterscotch Blondies with Chocolate Chips and Goji Berries, Grain-Free Autumn Fruit Crumble, Caramel Ice Cream (no ice-cream maker required)
• Other highlights: Ricki Heller is well known for the healthy recipes at her self-titled website (formerly Diet, Dessert and Dogs) and her second cookbook is a friendly, empowering, and tempting collection of recipes for those with food allergies and intolerances. From breakfast bakes to cookies, cakes, pies, and no-bake treats, there are healthier versions of traditional favorites as well as creative new desserts.
All of the recipes in Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free are free of gluten, eggs, and dairy. Many are also free of soy, corn, and nuts, or can be. Instead of refined sugar, Heller uses sweeteners like coconut sugar, stevia, and occasionally agave nectar. Most recipes call for the her all-purpose flour mix, which contains millet flour, garfava bean flour, arrowroot or tapicoa starch, and potato starch. Heller also provides lots of substitution tips.
• Who would enjoy this book? vegans, gluten-free folks, people with food allergies and intolerances, people watching glycemic index
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free by Ricki Heller
• Visit the author's website: Ricki Heller
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Ho)