What's your idea of a perfect pancake? Dorie Greenspan
shares hers with the Chicago Tribune and offers several tips to achieve the ideal stack at home. To start? Lose the boxed mix. But making your own "house mix" is recommended.
That and more in this week's roundup.
- In addition to tips from Greenspan, the Tribune shares her recipe for Puffed Pancakes, as well as Chicago breakfast queen Ina Pinkney's Heavenly Hots.
- Have you been enjoying grapefruits and pomelos as much as we have? The Oregonian profiles the oro blanco, a cross between the two – less bitter than grapefruit with a dense flesh.
- The Miami Herald explores the wines of Spain and rounds up a few recipes from former proprietor of the city's Madrid restaurant, including Caldo Gallego – Great Northern beans cooked with Spanish sausage, cabbage, turnips and turnip greens, red potatoes and a little aged, salted, pork belly fat.
- The Boston Globe highlights the ultimate comfort food – mac and cheese. Recipes include Farfalle and Fontina, and Spicy Tomato and Cheese Macaroni.
- The Houston Chronicle warms up with homemade Mexican soups. We'd love to try the Crema de Palmitos (hearts of palm) and Mushroom-Huitlacoche Soup.
Related: National Food Roundup: Love and Chocolate
(Image: Flicker user chocolate monster mel, licensed under Creative Commons)