- The Oregonian preserves those fleeting summer cherries in syrups flavored with amaretto, rose and kirsch.
- The Chicago Sun-Times is cooking over an open fire with Fish en Papillote, Tin Foil Peach Pie with Shortcake Crust, and Campfire Chicken Cooked in Hay.
- The Washington Post does fried chicken four ways: butter fried, buttermilk bathed, dry rubbed and cornstarch crusted.
- The Los Angeles Times offers up a sort of deconstructed Japanese pasta salad with chilled somen (wheat noodles) and flavorful toppings like fried eggplant, pickled plum paste, fresh ginger and scallions.
- The Seattle Times has another way to spice up your pasta salad with smoked chicken, roasted tomatoes, black beans and tomatillos.
(Image: Ross William Hamilton/The Oregonian)