How did you create it?
It took some time to build. In 2006, I read an article on Earthboxes in the Chicago Reader that gave me the basic idea.
Recommended store, site, product or resource?
As I was looking for ideas on how to pull this off, I came across plenty of useful links. I first put them all on a Flickr page. Then last year, my friends Art and Heidi and I joined with another rooftop gardener, Russ, to start the Green Roof Growers site.
• 1 Bruce builds his own sub-irrigated planters (SIPs) using Rubbermaid storage tubs.
• 2 The tubs are covered in garbage bags and secured in homemade wood and metal stands.
• 3 Tomatoes climb up a trellis of netting.
• 4 Colorful chard.
• 5 Ground-level compost bins.
• 6 Bruce shows off the inside of a homemade SIP.
• 7 The raised bottom is made from another Rubbermaid tub and two yogurt containers.
• 8 A ground-level potato box.
• 9 Bruce in the garden.
• 10 Herbs grow in a planter box.
(Images: Joanna Miller)