When it comes to eating smart and eating well, it's all about the snacks, for me. I work at home and I tend to snack in small portions for breakfast, lunch, and afternoon teatime. I'm always on the lookout for smart, simple, and relatively healthy snacks at the grocery store, and my latest favorites are from Costco. Want to see what they are?
Everyone has a different sense of what's healthy for them personally. For me, I look for relatively low-calorie snacks, with a range of nutrients and not a lot of sugar — added or natural.
My 5 Favorite (Sort of Healthy) Snacks from Costco
- Kirkland Grapefruit Cups - These are basically the reason I shop at Costco. A dozen cups, filled with perfectly segmented and juicy grapefruit? Done. Sure, I could cut up grapefruit myself, but I don't. These are the perfect 100-calorie fruit serving to go with breakfast or my afternoon snack break.
- Roasted Seasoned Seaweed - Roasted seaweed isn't very filling, but it's salty, crunchy, and very satisfying when you just want something to munch in the afternoon. These come 10 to a package and have about 100 calories in a whole pouch.
- Berries - I've been comparing price and quality on berries, which I try to keep on hand all the time, and Costco has been winning out on both. I buy big flats of blueberries or raspberries and my husband and I eat them with almonds for an afternoon snack.
- Babybelle Cheese - These 70-calorie mini rounds of cheese are adorable, but also practical. I slip a couple of the waxed rounds into my purse before a morning flight or when I need to run errands.
- Dark Chocolate Granola Popcorn - And the sweet splurge! This popcorn, lightly coated with chocolate coconut granola, has flax seeds in the mix for extra fiber, and it's just sweet enough to feel like a major treat in the afternoons. The fact that it tastes like Cocoa Puffs doesn't hurt either.
Those are my favorites from Costco — do you have other grocery store snacks that help you keep it light and healthy? And let's talk about other grocery stores soon; I'd love to know what your favorite snacks are at Trader Joe's, Wegman's, Kroger, Meijer, and beyond.