We Chicagoans love to see our city featured on the big screen, particularly if a chase scene is involved. In this year's action-packed movies "Wanted" and "The Dark Knight," the city has never looked better. But tonight's Chicago Outdoor Film Festival screening celebrates a Windy City classic: "The Blues Brothers."
And when you're on a mission from God, there's only one thing to eat ...
Fried chicken, of course.
Make that "four fried chickens and a Coke" for Jake, and don't forget Elwood's dry white toast. We think any of these four fried chicken recipes would hit the spot, whether you're picnicking under the stars or freshly sprung from Joliet Prison:
- Mom's Fried Chicken from Bon Appétit
- Fried Chicken Bites from Gourmet
- Emeril's Honey-Peppered Buttermilk-Fried Chicken
- "Fried" Chicken from Self
If dry white toast isn't going to cut it as a side dish, why not balance out the fried stuff with a light salad from our archives:
For dessert, perhaps something orange and creamy. "Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips." OK, so Burton Mercer (John Candy) is actually talking about a cocktail, but mixing drinks on a picnic is too much of a hassle for our taste. We think any of these desserts could be a tasty substitute:
- Orange Tart with Orange Cream and Pistachios from Gourmet
- Chocolate Brownies with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting from Bon Appétit
- Orange Segments with Berries and Balsamic Cream from Giada De Laurentiis
If only the real deal will do, get the drink recipe here.