Dairy products are an excellent source of calcium, but they aren't the only game in town. You might have heard that leafy greens like collards and kale are high in calcium, but did you know edamame, okra and broccoli are too? From a dandelion and fig salad with almonds to skillet-roasted okra, here are nine tempting (and dairy-free!) recipes with calcium-rich vegetables.You may notice that spinach is missing from the list below. Although spinach is high in calcium, very little of it is absorbed by our bodies due to the vegetable's high levels of oxalic acid. So although spinach is a healthy, tasty green, don't count on it to fulfill your calcium needs.
Other non-dairy sources of calcium you can count on include white beans, molasses, canned fish with bones, and tofu made with nigari (magnesium chloride).
SALADS & SLAWS
• Broccoli Salad with Carrots and Currants (pictured)
• Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing
• Edamame Salad with Shiso and Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette at 101 Cookbooks
• Beet Green Chopped Salad at Sprouted Kitchen
• Dandelion and Fig Salad with Serrano Ham and Grated Almonds at Food & Wine
BRAISED & ROASTED
• Collard Greens Stew with Chorizo & Garlic (pictured)
• Lima Beans with Wild Mushrooms and Chard at Bon Appetit
• Braised Turnip Greens with Turnips and Apples at Gourmet
• Skillet Roasted Spiced Okra at Running With Tweezers
Related: Does Putting Milk In Your Tea Negate Its Health Benefits?
(Images: Leela Cyd Ross; Faith Durand)