If you have ever driven up through Napa Valley, you've probably taken a pit stop at Model Bakery. It's that place that beckons you from the highway with aromas of just-baked English muffins and distracts you from vineyard tours with stacks of chocolate chip cookies. Here is how you can get a taste of this bakery without the trip to wine country: a collection of their 75 best and most-loved recipes.
• Who wrote it: Karen Mitchell and Sarah Mitchell Hansen
• Who published it: Chronicle Books
• Number of recipes: Around 75
• Recipes for right now: English Muffins, Bear Claws, Apricot-Pecan Scones, Espresso Bundt Cake, Red Velvet Cake, Lemon Brulée Tart, Peanut Butter Cookies, The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
• Major Takeaways: Their English muffins are what put Model Bakery on the national map of food destinations. They are big, free-form versions of our favorite toaster snack — which translates directly into more nooks and crannies for the butter, right? Right. It might be worth buying this cookbook for this one recipe alone; it's one of the most approachable and doable recipes for English muffins I've ever come across.
• Who would enjoy this book? Bakers of both the home and professional variety, visitors to the bakery who are still haunted by the taste of what they ate there
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Model Bakery Cookbook by Karen Mitchell and Sarah Mitchell Hansen
• Visit the author's website: The Model Bakery
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Image credits: Emma Christensen)