Mashed potatoes are a Thanksgiving classic. No one can argue with that. But sometimes you want to mix it up. Sure, you can add sweet potatoes to the mix or mash parsnips or other root vegetables, but what if you want to stick to the good ol' white potato but yearn for a bit of variety this year? We get it. Whether for the Thanksgiving table or for comforting weeknight meals this fall, we've found a few potato recipes that will satisfy any craving, but add a little something new and unexpected to the spread. From a simple recipe for Hasselback potatoes (sliced and seasoned potatoes) to a rustic fried potato recipe using mustard and bacon, we think these are reason enough to put away the potato masher. At least for a few weeks.
• Hasselback Potatoes - Everybody Loves Sandwiches
• Creamy Potato Leek Casserole - Foodjimoto
• Pan-Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Pancetta - Food and Wine
• Crushed Heirloom Potatoes - Bon Appetit
• German-Style Fried Potatoes - Epicurious
Related: Weeknight Comfort: Making Mashed Potatoes a Meal
(Image: Jeannette Ordas from Everybody Loves Sandwiches)