Root Vegetables: The mild flavor and dense texture of root vegetables make them an ideal mate for mashed potatoes.
• Mashed Potatoes with Rutabaga, or Neeps & Tatties
• Mashed Potatoes with Carrots and Leeks at Gourmet
• Mashed Potatoes and Celeriac at Martha Stewart
Greens: Mashing cooked greens in with your potatoes adds color, flavor and textural contrast, and makes them a lot more nutritious too.
• Kale and Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes at 101 Cookbooks
• Colcannon at Simply Recipes
Winter Squash or Sweet Potatoes: Sweet, creamy mashed squash or sweet potato gives mashed potatoes an autumnal flair.
• Mashed Potatoes with Butternut Squash at Food & Wine
• Harvest Mashed Potatoes at Southern Living
Alliums: Add-ins like chives, caramelized onion or shallot, and roasted garlic take potatoes from tasty to scrape-the-bowl-clean good.
• Mascarpone Chive Mashed Potatoes at Sunset
• Caramelized-Shallot and Sage Mashed Potatoes at Bon Appetit
• Wasabi and Green Onion Mashed Potatoes at Bon Appetit
What are your favorite add-ins for mashed potatoes?
(Images: Martha Stewart; 101 Cookbooks)