• bake-kettle a heavy cast-iron cooking pot that hung over the fireplace and was used to bake bread, pies, etc.
• calabazilla a wild squash of Mexico and California
• chestnutting an Americanism for picking chestnuts
• milk sociable a sociable at which milk is drunk
• seed-cake a cake of compressed seeds used as cattle feed
• sheller a shellfish, a crab
• sours pickles
Some of these words have since been re-introduced to the OED and can be found in current versions, but it's difficult to know exactly how many more were lost. So next time your grandmother starts talking about cooking up a sheller and some calabazilla, think twice before telling her the words aren't in the dictionary.
→ Read More: Consider the Ghetchoo at Bon Appetit
(Images: Melissa Finkelstein)