Pumpkin: Canned vs. Fresh
- The Omaha World-Herald has 10 pumpkin dishes you can't get out of a can, including Roasted Pumpkin Slices with Maple, Bacon and Thyme; Bread & Cup's Heirloom Pumpkin Soup with Apple, Sage and Coconut Relish; and Wild Rice and Pumpkin Pilaf. Sounds like fresh is taking the lead.
- But wait! The Kansas City Star is singing the praises of canned pumpkin, noting its convenience and consistency. (Just be sure the can says "100 percent pure.") It's hard to argue with Baked Pumpkin Brulee French Toast.
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is baking pumpkin cornbread – with either canned pumpkin or fresh puree. We'll call it a tie.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer offers a quick tip for a spooky punch – hand-shaped ice cubes made with plastic gloves.
- The Chicago Tribune suggests a healthy Halloween meal with Martian Invasion Kohlrabi Soup.
- The Chicago Sun-Times offers tips for hosting your own election night party.
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch puts partisan politics aside with a Presidential Cherry Pie.
- What is Madonna singing about in her new "Candy Shop" song? The Sun-Times says it's a Turkish sweet called rahat loukoum.
- The Tribune analyzes artisan root beer.
- The Indianapolis Star cooks up a batch of Squash Enchiladas in Mole Verde.
- The Argus Leader warns that black walnut leaves are bad for compost.