Read on for local cranberries, cheese, wines and lots of recipes ...Local Harvest
- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has a great story about a local family's cranberry business, Weatherby Cranberry Co., with several recipes, including Nodji's Cranberry Pecan Tassies (pictured). Did you know Wisconsin's cranberry harvest is the largest in the country? This year's is expected to reach 3.85 billion barrels. Like most food, however, prices are up.
- The Kansas City Star takes a trip to Green Dirt Farm, Missouri's second sheep's cheese dairy. It says the farm's flock is a mix of East Friesian/Lacaune and Gulf Coast Native sheep that produce "five fresh and aged cheeses ripe with barnyard flavors."
- The Chicago Tribune is talking Midwest wine with a roundup of critic Bill Daley's favorite picks. There are currently 80 Illinois wineries, up from 14 in 1998.
Recipes and More
- The Indianapolis Star tests some casseroles from Hot Dish Heaven, published by Minnesota Historical Society Press and passes along a few stick-to-your-ribs recipes.
- The Tribune has tips for enhancing store-bought soups with some homemade flavor.
- The Kansas City Star walks us through marshmallow making with a video and suggestions for toppings.
- In the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, a group of local residents recount their annual fishing trip to Alaska and pass along recipes for Grilled Halibut and Salmon, Newcastle Black Beans and Curly Pasta Salad.