It's crunch time for holiday menu planning, so we're not messing around. Read on for this week's all-recipe Midwest roundup.
Related: Midwest Food Roundup: Good Reads and Winter Whites
(Image: Elie Gardner/St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- The Chicago Tribune celebrates all things nutty, packing them into as many dishes as possible. We're inclined to join them with recipes like Bitter Greens with Tamari-Roasted Walnuts, Cherries and Blue Cheese; and Hazelnut Brownie Torte with Espresso and Goat Cheese Topping.
- The Chicago Sun-Times highlights chocolate's savory side, pairing it with beef tenderloin, short ribs and sea scallops. Maybe we've been watching too much Top Chef, but we'll have to taste that last one to believe it.
- Speaking of Top Chef, here's a REAL one-pot dish from the Indianapolis Star – Lamb, Lentil & Sweet Potato Stew.
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch fills its Christmas table with red and green, preparing Pomegranate Guacamole, Stewed Okra and Tomatoes, and other colorful dishes.
- The Tribune is head over heels for Ina Garten and her "deliberate ease." Her new book gets "Back to Basics" with recipes like Mustard-Roasted Fish and Tomato and Bread Soup.
- Check out the Lincoln Journal Star's recipes for Chipotle-Honey Sauce and Ethiopian Berbere Sauce – for giving, or eating yourself.
- What's the best low-calorie holiday cookie? The Kansas City Stary says airy Chocolate Meringue Morsels.