These microwave meals certainly aren’t the height of culinary achievements, but they’ll do the trick. Think about jazzing them up with some strong cheese or a sprinkle of your favorite spice mix.
First, some basic techniques:
• Eggs - Make them scrambled or poached.
• Steamed Vegetables - This tutorial on steaming broccoli applies to any other vegetable, too. Try cauliflower, carrots, and green beans.
• Cooking Pasta - Follow the first-half of the instructions for our microwave mac n’ cheese to get plain pasta.
• DIY Instant Oatmeal - It’s easy to make your own instant oatmeal mix.
• Bacon - This is a great way to cook a just few slices of bacon at once.
• Better Jarred Tomato Sauce - Try adding some zing and then heat just a few tablespoons of grocery-store tomato sauce in a ramekin.
• Stir Fry Sauces - To make any of these stir-fry sauces in the microwave, just combine them in a ramekin and heat in 20 second bursts until the sauce thickens. Stir between each burst.
And some meal ideas to try:
• Steamed Veggies and Scrambled Egg - Top with any of those stir-fry sauces.
• Poached Eggs over Oatmeal - Crumble on some cheese for a nice savory dinner.
• Egg Sandwich - Bacon optional!
• Steamed Veggies and Pasta - Pour on some tomato sauce or simply toss this with oil and lemon juice.
• Mac n’ Cheese - Add some steamed veggies for extra goodness or a few teaspoons of stir-fry sauce for flavor.
And don’t forget dessert! There’s always 2-Minute Microwave Cheesecake to be had.
What other ideas do you have for microwave meals?
(Image: Faith Durand)