To be honest, the only desserts we initially thought of were sopapillas and flan—and we definitely included those below. But, of course, there is a much more varied menu of sweets from Brazil, Peru, and other countries that look amazing.
• 1. Mexican Chocolate Almond Ice Cream, from the Kitchn. Made with Ibarra chocolate and a pinch of cayenne.
• 2. Alfajores, from Matt Armendariz (via Martha Stewart). Sweet little sandwich cookies with dulce de leche filling and powdered sugar sifted on top.
• 3. Tres Leches Cake, from Life in Recipes. A common cake in many Latin American countries, it's soaked in sweetened condensed milk so that the cake is super moist.
• 4. Brigadeiros, from Street Smart Brazil. Soft little chocolate morsels rolled in different toppings.
• 5. Sopapillas, from Homesick Texan. Like beignets or doughnuts—fried puffs of dough drizzled in honey. Yum.
• 6. Classic Flan, from Bon Appétit. An elegant dessert that's easy to make ahead.
• 7. Picarones, from About.com (photo via Flickr). Fried pumpkin doughnuts very common in Peru.
• 8. Cinnamon Walnut Dulce de Leche Bars, from the Kitchn. A recent addition to our archives that we'd happily eat for breakfast, too.
Related: Peanut Butter-Stuffed Jalapeños
(Images: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan; MarthaStewart.com; Life in Recipes; Street Smart Brazil; Lisa Fain; Kana Okada/Bon Appétit; Flickr member Yogma, licensed for use under Creative Commons; Faith Durand)