The jars keep everything together, and tight-fitting lids mean no spills or accidents on the way to your picnic. You can also pack salads in individually-sized jars, so people can have their own and dispense with a plate entirely.
Nearly any salad would work in jar form. Depending on the ingredients, the jars could be packed with a pre-tossed salad, or layered with individual ingredients with dressing at the bottom or served on the side. The latter would make for a really pretty presentation, and everyone could shake up their salad jars themselves before digging in. Here are a few salad recipes from our archives that could be served jar-style:
- Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing – Kale is nice and hearty, so feel free to pre-mix.
- Joyce's Drunken Noodle Salad – This would make for some lovely, colorful layers
- Erica's Asian-Inspired Chicken and Orzo Salad – A complete meal in a jar!
- Julie's Quick and Easy Nicoise-Style Salad – Pack the tuna on the bottom and layer the rest of the ingredients on top
- Cannellini Salad with Goat Cheese & Mint – Try adding some fresh greens on top of this salad for more color and crunch
- Grilled Zucchini and Grape Tomato Salad – So summery!
- The Seven-Layer Salad – Make mini versions of this classic layered salad.
Related: Easy Jam Jar Salad Dressings
(Image: Tina Rupp/Country Living)