This week is all about French cuisine
, and maybe it’s just us, but the first thing that comes to mind is all the ways the French use chocolate. Chocolate pastries
, chocolate candies, chocolate anything. The fall and winter entertaining season is also just around the corner, so we thought a roundup of all our best chocolate tips, techniques, and recipes was in order!
Bean to Bar: How Chocolate Is Made
• How Cacao Beans are Harvested and Dried
• How Cocoa Powder and Cocoa Butter are Made
• How Chocolate is Refined and Conched
• Discolored Chocolate: Is “Bloom” Good or Bad?
• Food Science: Why Chocolate Seizes
• Behind the Scenes with Taza Chocolate
• Expert Interview: Master Chocolate Maker Ray Major of Scharffen Berger
Chocolate In the Kitchen: How To Work with Chocolate
• The Best Way to Chop Chocolate: Use a Serrated Knife
• How to Melt Chocolate
• How to Temper Chocolate
• How to Drizzle Chocolate - the Squeeze Bottle Method and the Plastic Bag Method
• How to Substitute Chocolate Bars for Cocoa in Baking
• How to Make Ganache: Simple Melted Ganache and Whipped Ganache
Chocolate Temptations: More Ways To Eat Chocolate!
• Homemade Mallomars
• Chocolate Whiskey Pot de Crèmes
• Nigella Lawson’s Nutella Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache
• Chocolate Bouchons from Thomas Keller
• The Best Chocolate Ice Cream
What other tips or questions do you have about working with chocolate? What are your very favorite recipes for this marvelous ingredient?
Related: An Online Source for Chocolate: Chocosphere
(Images: Dana Velden; Emma Christensen)