- Minneapolis, MN
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- I got extremely lucky with my pre-war apartment - the kitchen layout, although small, has a great open layout and the details, like the leaded glass cabinets and crown molding around the cupboards, add lovely character and charm. The cupboards go all the way up to the ceiling and provides much needed extra storage space. I painted the kitchen purple and the adjoining dining room a butter yellow and the combo never ceases to make me smile!
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- The (rather limited) countertop was made with some non-conventional material that and I was afraid is would simply disintegrate upon using. In addition, it was about an inch lower than my adjacent farm-style sink, making it awkward to use the only counterspace available! I bought a slab of butcher block at Ikea and using a jigsaw, cut out the shape of my counter and simply laid it on top of the existing countertop. Since I rent and it fits so snugly I didn't apply any adhesive. I love the white/purple/wood combination and the added utility of a butcher block counter. Installing a light under the cupboard also went a long way to enhancing the utility of the space.
Finally, the small space has forced me to be more economical in my cooking style - keeping heavily used items in easy to reach places and cleaning as I cook.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- What don't I like to make? Currently, thanks to the heat wave, I am in an ice-cream making phase. My favorite? Roasted Rhubarb.
Small Cool Kitchens