Blogger: Emma Christensen
Started at The Kitchn: 2008
Emma is the backbone of a very strong team, here at The Kitchn. Her culinary training, attention to detail, and warm writing style have been a core part of the site for nearly three years. What would we do without her?! Emma brings everything from basic cooking tips, to ingredient guides, to baking tutorials and beer reviews. She lives in an old converted brewery in Columbus, Ohio, where she cooks up delicious things and brews beer too! Read on for Emma's favorite kitchen tool, secret indulgence, and favorite quote on food and cooking. A FEW QUESTIONS FOR EMMA
- What’s your favorite kitchen tool?
My Dutch oven. I use mine for almost everything: stir fries, soups, bread, braises, everything. It hardly ever makes it back into the cupboard after washing. Using it occasionally feels like wrestling with an awkward baby dinosaur, but lifting off the top and breathing in the aromas of whatever has been cooking never fails to make me smile.
- What’s your secret indulgence in the kitchen?
Toast. Made with homemade bread, toasted just until golden on the edges, slathered with butter, and sprinkled with sea salt. If it were possible to live on toast alone, I would.
- What’s your favorite quote on food, cooking, or eating?
"When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy. That's what cooking is all about." - Thomas Keller
A FEW POSTS BY EMMA
• Easy Baking Recipe: No-Knead Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls
• Beer Review: Fleur from Goose Island Beer Company
• Recipe: Cranberry Curd Bars with Walnut Shortbread Crust
• Brewing Beer at Home: Siphoning and 2nd Fermentation
• How To Learn Basic Knife Skills: The Video
MORE POSTS BY EMMA
• See all of Emma's posts at The Kitchn
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's end-of-year roundup! We are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the last year, including lots of recipes. We are also shaking out our reader mailbag, and giving you a few more great guest posts from our friends.
(Images: as credited in above links)