Blogger: Stephanie Barlow
Started at The Kitchn: 2010
Stephanie Barlow joined us this past fall from New York City, and ever since she has been bringing us fresh food news, kitchen tips, and gluten-free product reviews. Stephanie used to work for an administrative department at Gourmet, and she has fond memories of their test kitchen. Read on for more posts from Stephanie, and her answers to our kitchen quiz. Her favorite tool, kitchen indulgence, and cooking quote below!
A FEW QUESTIONS FOR STEPHANIE
- What's your favorite kitchen tool?
Of all the tools in my kitchen I would be lost without my favorite sturdy bamboo spoon. Wooden spoons have always been my stirring utensils of choice, far superior in my mind to fancy molded spatulas and intricate whisks. I would have never chosen a bamboo spoon simply because it sounds downright utilitarian and unromantic. But when I was given one (thanks, Mom) I was surprised. Wow, is it light, smooth, and durable. The perfect edge allows me to scrape up any browned bits while caramelizing onions and the handle never wears down to feel warped or splintery.
- What's your secret indulgence in the kitchen?
Nutella. It's as standard as peanut butter in my world, and I eat it straight from the jar more often than not. I save some individual-size packets in the back of my cupboard in case of an emergency craving or foul weather.
- What's your favorite quote on food, cooking, or eating?
What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child? - Lin Yutang
A FEW POSTS BY STEPHANIE
• Soup Recipe: Ribollita (The Ultimate Leftovers Soup)
• Frugal Tip: Cheese Odds and Ends at Whole Foods
• Will Run for Food: Mark Bittman's Other Hobby
• Witches' Brew: Halloween Punch for Everyone
• Who Eats A Better Lunch: You Or A French 3-Year-Old?
MORE POSTS BY STEPHANIE
• See all of Stephanie Barlow's posts at The Kitchn
(Images: as credited in above links)