We've been talking about European foods this week on The Kitchn, and I couldn't help but feature a few of my favorite Mediterranean-style appetizers. This time of year, especially, when fresh tomatoes are everywhere you turn, snacks can be simply made from a little hunk of salty cheese, some good olives, and sliced heirlooms.
I find we naturally cook in a very Mediterranean-inspired way at home, always reaching for good olive oil, lemons, nuts, spinach and good cheeses. But what I love about this line-up of appetizers is that they veer towards the hearty side of things and could easily be made into a summer meal as well. Pair the lamb kabobs with a cucumber dill salad and some barley and dinner is served. Serve the halloumi bites with fresh pita, hummus, and a tall glass of beer to put a cap to the workday. Here are a few ideas that I hope may mix up how you typically think about appetizers:
5 Winning Mediterranean Appetizers:
• Halloumi and Watermelon Bites with Basil Mint Oil (pictured) - The Curvy Carrot
• Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Dip with Pomegranate Molasses - Fine Cooking
• Grape Leaves with Bulgar and Mint - Bon Appetit
• Zucchini Keftedes with Feta and Dill - Carpe Cibus
• Greek Lamb Kabobs - Williams Sonoma