This book could just as easily be titled Martha's Comfort Food because that is really what she's given us here. From Philly Cheesesteak to Buckeye Candies, these are the foods that trigger deep childhood memories and that link us to a certain time and place. Keep this book handy because it's a collection of recipes you'll be dipping into again and again.
• Who wrote it: Martha Stewart
• Who published it: Clarkson Potter
• Number of recipes: About 200
• Recipes for right now: Mushroom and Bacon Dip, Pot Roast, Stovetop Clambake, Corned Beef and Root Vegetable Hash, Chicken and Dumplings, Spoon Bread, Twice-Baked Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives, Shaker Lemon Tartlets, Tamale Pie, Texas Sheet Cake, Cedar-Plank Roasted Salmon
• Other highlights: This cookbook just makes me happy. Yes, its pages are tinged with a kind of rosy-hued nostalgia for days gone by, but that doesn't take away from the fact all these recipes are like best friends. It fills my heart with a simple happiness to see them all in one place.
I appreciate that Martha Stewart and her recipe testing team have left these recipes basically untouched. You won't see any modern twists or "re-imagined" classics here — these recipes are just the way we remember them, cream and all (though she does stop short of cream of mushroom soup in the green bean casserole).
Here's a cookbook for rediscovering favorites and finding a few new ones. You can literally cook your way from one coast to the other.
• Who would enjoy this book? Cooks wanting a compilation of classic American recipes
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Martha's American Food: A Celebration of Our Nations Most Treasured Dishes, From Coast to Coast by Martha Stewart
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)