- Marcy and Jason
- Alexandria, VA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- The square proportion of the space (8'x8'x8') is reflected in the details, from the mosaic tile backsplash, the awning window, the light fixtures, the sink and faucet, and the cabinet hardware. We incorporated many sustainable elements including a recycled paper and resin countertop, Energy Star appliances, cork flooring, and a high performance triple-pane window. Plus, we designed and built it all ourselves!
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- In one corner, the ductwork and plumbing feeding the upstairs limited the space we had to work with. To make the most of this irregular area, we designed a custom wine rack to fit this niche perfectly. The maple veneer plywood wine rack creatively displays our favorite wines while concealing the side of the microwave.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- We love to cook our famous spicy stir fry. The new larger window provides a great view to the outside while we chop and prepare the meat and vegetables.
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living