1. Call in the Troops! - We sent out a desperate text asking a few of our guests if they might bring a chair or two along with them. These were our closer friends who we knew (or hoped!) wouldn't feel too put out by this request.
2. Milk Crates - We have a few of these still hanging around from our college years. As a seating option, they work just as well now as they did back then.
3. Exercise Balls - These are those over-sized hard rubber balls you see at the gym. We have one at home, and this made a great, if bouncy, seat for one lucky guest.
4. Camping Chairs - One of these must be lurking in the back of the closet somewhere. Right?
5. Step Stools - We keep a two-step folding stool in the kitchen to reach the tops of cupboards. It's actually just the right height to pull up to the table!
6. Plastic Bins - We have a few of these in our closet holding old papers, decorations, and the like. Stacked on top of each other, they're as good as milk crates.
7. Bikes - This is when we knew we were truly desperate. And yet, that top tube on the bike makes a pretty good seat if you don't mind leaning!
Our guests were pretty good-humored about the situation, but we think we might just break down and invest in a few folding chairs for next time. These Nisse chairs from Ikea are stylish, fairly inexpensive, and would easily fit in the back of a closet until we need them.
What other alternative seating arrangements have you found when desperate?