Soda gets a bad rap these days, but that's largely because of all the corn syrup, artificial flavors, and other junk that goes into commercially produced beverages. Homemade soda is a different story. Grab some fresh produce, a bottle of seltzer water, and a copy of Anton Nocito's Make Your Own Soda, and you'll be mixing your own vibrantly flavored, natural sodas in no time.
• Who wrote it: Anton Nocito
• Who published it: Clarkson Potter
• Number of recipes: 70
• Recipes for right now: Lemon Verbena Syrup; Lavender Golden Raisin Syrup; Raspberry-Dried Apricot Shrub Syrup; Anise Hyssop and Strawberry Ice Cream Soda; Kumquat, St-Germain, and Prosecco; Chocolate Tea with Mint Syrup
• Other highlights: Anton Nocito is the founder of Brooklyn's P&H Soda Co., and he's passionate about all-natural sodas made from good ingredients like seasonal produce, herbs, and spices. In Make Your Own Soda he shares recipes for soda syrups, most of which are made on the stove and mixed with carbonated water. (For anyone who's wondering, there are no fermented sodas, just syrup-based drinks.)
The first part of the book features simple recipes for Farm and Pantry-based syrups and then the second half of the book has concoctions like ice cream sodas and cocktails, plus a few hot drinks. There's something for all tastes here, whether you're looking for a soda fountain classic or something more unique and modern.
• Who would enjoy this book? soda lovers, mixology buffs, cooks who enjoy DIY projects, and people who want to avoid the bad-for-you ingredients in commercial sodas
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Make Your Own Soda by Anton Nocito
• Visit the author's website: P&H Soda Co.
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Han)