Have you ever added a Parmesan rind to your soup? Or V8? Have you ever wondered how to make better matzo ball soup? Or how to cool homemade soup quickly? Read on for these tips and more — 25 tips from our archives on making better soups in your own kitchen.
SOUP ADD-INs & FLAVOR ENHANCERS
• Stir Some Greens into Your Soup
• Add V8 to Soup!
• Add Whole Stems of Thyme to Soups
• Flavor Soups with Cheese Rinds
• Use Yogurt for a Creamy Soup
• Save Shiitake Mushroom Stems for Soups!
SOUP TIPS & TECHNIQUES
• Weekend Getaways: Freeze Soup To Bring With You
• How to Make and Use a Slurry to Thicken Soup
• How to Cool Soup Quickly with an Ice Paddle
• 7 Ways to Make Any Soup Creamier
• Quick Tip for Winter Soups: Save the Pasta for Last
• Use Tea Balls To Flavor Soup
• Turn Leftover Soup into a Dip
• Weekend Project: Create (and Cook!) Your Own Soup Recipe
• Help! Why Does Soup Explode Out of My Blender?
• Why Does My Split Pea Soup Turn Brown?
• What's the Secret to Good Matzo Ball Soup?
• Help! Why Did My Chicken Soup Turn Into Jell-o?
• How Do I Add Rice to Soup (and Store It For Later?)
• How Can I Safely Preserve Homemade Soups?
• How Can I Make Soup Out of Leftover Roast Duck?
• What Can I Substitute for Condensed Chicken Soup?
(Originally published January 4, 2011)