This dish really has it going on. Imagine chewy nibbles of corn cradled in silky custard with a generous handful of shredded cheese for good measure. You can bake it in a casserole dish as a side dish or serve it as a meal on its own in hollowed out squash halves, like Heidi Swanson does in her recipe on 101 Cookbooks (see below).
Corn pudding can also go by the name of corn spoon bread, and you'll find as many variations as there are cooks. It can be thick like bread pudding or loose like dessert pudding. I love the idea of adding sundried tomatoes or roasted poblanos for an extra kick. And of course, a crunchy crust of breadcrumbs or crackers will never go amiss on my plate.
Check out these recipes:
• Cheddar-Corn Spoon Bread from Martha Stewart
• Roasted Corn Pudding in Acorn Squash from 101 Cookbooks
• Summer Corn Pudding from Food52
• Sante Fe Corn Pudding from Sunset Magazine
• Toasted Sweet Corn Pudding from Epicurious
How do you like your corn pudding?
(Image: Martha Stewart)