People often ask me how much I cook, expecting me to say that I'm in the kitchen chopping and baking every day. But the truth is that I only cook two or three times a week. My not-so-secret secret is leftovers with a capital "L". I say make it once and eat it twice — or more!I always look for recipes that serve six to eight. With just me and my husband at home, those recipes keep our bellies happy for days at a time. If I make a pasta dish, I keep the sauce and pasta separate so that the leftover pasta doesn't get soggy. Casseroles are also a big favorite since they re-heat so well. And of course, a roast chicken on Sunday makes its way into meals all week long.
Here are some of my favorite go-to recipes for intentional leftovers:
• How to Roast a Chicken
• Chicken and Swiss Chard Pasta Bake
• Lentil Soup with Lemon Yogurt Cream
• Slow-Cooker Curried Chickpea and Vegetable Stew
• How to Make a Frittata
• Quick Tomato Sauce with Pasta
• Meyer Lemon Grain Salad with Asparagus, Almonds, and Goat Cheese (Great with an egg on top!)
What are your favorite meals "make once, eat twice" meals?
It's Reader Request Week at The Kitchn! This post was requested by Mary Frances Ellison.
(Images: see links)