I first discovered this over four years ago, and I even wrote about it here. I thought it deserved another look, as there is something about this soft yet firm, chocolatey (yet kinda waxy) ice cream topping that just drives me wild. Call it nostalgia, call it junk food cravings, but Magic Shell is still one of my favorite things to eat on ice cream.
But, like I said, it's super simple to make. In fact, there's an even easier way: melt chocolate, dribble it on ice cream, and presto, it will harden. But this stays crisp, even brittle, and necessitates using hot chocolate.
The homemade Magic Shell recipe that has become very popular now on blogs is one that calls for just two things: Good chocolate, and coconut oil.
The coconut oil helps the chocolate stay just a little softer on the ice cream and also helps it become more liquid when warmed. It really couldn't be easier, and you get that magic still, but all homemade.
Here are some bloggers who have played around with homemade Magic Shell:
• Homemade "Magic Shell" Chocolate Sauce at 52 Kitchen Adventures (pictured above)
• How to make Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping at Skip To My Lou
• Homemade Magic Chocolate Shell at A Few Short Cuts
• Magic Chocolate Shell at This Chick Cooks
• Homemade Magic Shell Chocolate Sauce - at Whipperberry
Have you ever made homemade Magic Shell?
Related: Recipe: Oreo Hot Fudge Sauce
(Image: Stephanie of 52 Kitchen Adventures)