Is lunchtime feeling a little... bland? Repetitive? Do you need some fresh ideas? We do too, so we considered the sandwich. And we realized we needed to get out of the sandwich box. What makes a sandwich a sandwich, philosophically-speaking? Is it just a filling between two pieces of plain bread? Or can it expand into adjacent territory -- burritos, wraps, baked pockets?
Boiled Egg, Seared Asparagus & Pickled Onion Sandwiches
Personally, I think a sandwich is a full meal you can hold in your hands -- nourishing, satisfying, and easily carried. So that would include baked goodies like saucy calzones, pita pockets, and more. This clearly opens up fresh vistas of possibility for lunchtime!
Here are 20 of our own favorite sandwiches of all shapes and sizes, from chipotle chicken fajitas, to the perfect summer tomato sandwich. There's a spicy lentil wrap (better than Trader Joe's!), a simple cheese and onion sandwich, and homemade piadinas. It's time to get out of your lunch rut -- try a new sandwich (whatever the shape or size) this week!
• 9 Cheese and Onion Sandwich
• 10 Bánh Mì with Lemongrass Tofu
• 11 Boiled Egg, Seared Asparagus & Pickled Onion Sandwiches
• 12 Fresh Vegetable Sandwich
WRAPS & ROLLS
• 16 Chipotle Chicken Fajitas with Creamy Black Bean Spread
• 17 Spicy Lentil Wraps with Tahini Sauce
• 18 Roasted Sweet Potato Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Pesto
• 19 Homemade Piadinas
• 20 Vegetable Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
What's the best way to break out of the sandwich rut? Got any fresh ideas for fall?
• How To Make Your Own Frozen Wraps
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)