Reminiscing about banoffee pie reminded us of another favorite British dessert: the trifle. These can be made from just about any combination of ripe fruit, sponge cake, custard, and whipped cream. Layered into clear glass dishes, these desserts are as pretty to look at as they are good to eat.These are a perfect make-ahead dessert for a summer dinner party because they actually improve with a few hours of sitting. The custard mingles with the fresh fruit slices while the cake absorbs their juices. Everything comes together in a perfect harmony of flavors and textures.
1. Apricot-Cherry Trifle from Epicurious - Not only does this combination of fruits appeal to us, but we love the idea of serving the trifle in individual glasses.
2. Raspberry, White Chocolate, and Almond Trifle from Bon Appétit - Sure, who can’t use a little chocolate in their trifle?
3. Apple Flapjack Trifle from BBC Good Food - Pretty sure this is an excuse to have trifle for breakfast. Not that we’re going to argue.
4. Blackberry Peach Trifle from Martha Stewart - These fruits look - and taste - so good together.
5. Pistachio Rhubarb Trifle from Gourmet - If we can get our hands on some late-season rhubarb, this is definitely what we’ll be making.
What are your favorite trifle combinations?