Here's a good question from reader Chelsea, who writes:
Every year for Christmas, we eat breakfast casserole after opening our presents. It's easy to put together the night before and pop into the oven when we wake up.
The problem? My boyfriend is joining us this year and he absolutely does not eat breakfast sausage. Are there any casseroles that don't depend on sausage? Or any other make-ahead breakfast ideas that are special enough for the holidays?
Chelsea, sure! There are plenty of breakfast casseroles that don't use sausage. Here are a few from The Kitchn, and I am sure that the readers also have good recipe suggestions.
• Ham and Cheese" Breakfast Casserole
• Smoked Salmon and Potato Breakfast Casserole
• Zucchini and Asparagus Strata -- substitute chard or another winter green for the asparagus.
• Weekend Apple Pancake - A sweet option.
Here are a few other special breakfast ideas we enjoy.
• Breakfast Pizza
• Confetti Quiche with Curry Crust
• Zucchini-Potato Frittata