For those lucky enough to have an island or a U-shaped counter or breakfast bar, let us strongly recommend investing in some colorful bar stools. No matter the style or color scheme of your kitchen, adding a bright (or at least colorful) stool is a low-commitment way to liven up your space.
Whether you buy brand-new stools or give your existing ones a DIY makeover with some spray paint, we bet you'll love the new look.
- Yellow Seats - Better Homes & Gardens: These bright molded plastic seats are the perfect cheery accents to a mostly neutral kitchen.
- Aqua Counter Stools - House of Turquoise: These might be our favorite bright stools of the bunch; not just because of their brilliant hue, but also the high-backed style that makes them more comfortable to sit in.
- Pink & Gold - Honey Bear Lane: If you want to go the DIY route, try following this tutorial. We especially like that it gives you instructions for a two-toned stool.
- Primary Colors - Mabbott Seidel Architecture: You don't have to use just one color for your stools. Take a cue from this kitchen, which incorporates primary colors on the simple padded seats of the mid-century modern stools.
- Neon Pink - A Home Full of Color: A couple of cans of neon spray paint (this blogger recommends using Rustoleum Fluorescent) and you can turn boring to bright in no time.
- A Study In Contrast - Better Homes & Gardens: Even if you already have a bright island counter, you can still add bright bar stools. Just make sure they are a contrasting color, as it can be difficult to match bright colors in different materials.
- White & Mint - Apartment Therapy: You don't have to add a jewel tone or a neon hue to make a statement. These simple white and mint stools are just as lovely.
- Candy Colored - Lucy G Creative Photography: These metal stools are staples of modern kitchen design, and they come in a million colors. Stick to one hue or mix them up like they did in this kitchen. We love the inclusion of the black stool to mirror the chalkboard-like backsplash.
- Red Accents - TreHus Architects: This kitchen has wonderful red accents, and the bar stools just add to that effect. We're also curious about the bright red room next door.
- Green Triangular Stools - Design Love Fest: In an already colorful kitchen, these triangular seated stools fit right in. Plus, that jade hue is to die for.